Monday 17 March 2008

Sweet Geneve

Went to Geneva this week-end... My first time I went there... What to say? WOW! No.

WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW...

From now on this city is awarded the price of the "dream place" to live in! [Though it doesn't mean that the contest is over] ;-)
The reason why I "suddenly" decided to go there is because there was the biggest auto exhibition going that week. The biggest in Europe. And, since MBA is over, I thought why not to look for this or that iron beast for myself... :-)


My companion made me get up very early as for a Saturday morning - 6 am! - so that we could depart at 7. All went really well and we left Belfort on time. It was a crispy morning and the sun was showing its tender, childishly hesitating beams to the sun-starving city. The closer we were getting to the Swiss border, the stronger and the hotter it shone.
At 10 am, if I am not mistaken, we stopped by a ferme-auberge for a breakfast. It was a cozy place with smorgasbord majoring in local sorts of cheese served, surprisingly enough, on the billiard table :-) Local cheese taste and the crunch of croissants immediately sweaped away any subtle memories of last two weeks of rainy March Belfort.


At about 11 am, in a cotton mist, I saw a white boat which like a ghost ship was lingering down in the valley. Oh, my Goodness! "But this is a huge lake!!" (Yes, yes, it's exactly how I merely screamed in the car) It was a big terrific lake in the chalice of the Alps. "Yes, it is le Lac de Léman", answered my companion in his calmness. But I guess my noisy reaction made him think that it was the first lake I saw in my life and so he turned right, away from the croudy main road, and we started descending to that wonder lake through a plethora of little and unimaginably cute villages. He looked at me in a cunning manner and said: "Ok, I have a new idea!". For a second I started douting that we would still catch up with the exhibition, but luckily I stayed silent! Et, voila! We ended up at the very shore of that lake! It was a lovely little town called Lutry. It was very warm, sunshing, the water was calm, almost dead calm. It loked like an idyl with families walking along the quay and grandparents watching their restless little grandchildren. The place had a yacht-yard and the boats were quitely floating on the waves made by numerous swans busy with their morning exercises.

My companion suggested to take a boat to Geneva. We went to the lakeside cafe to ask about the schedule. Lively waitresses did not show any sign of surprise when the two newcomers asked about the nearest boat to Geneva. Instead, one of them ran immediately away and came back with a brochure of the schedule for the whole next year. She showed us the hours of depart and there was obviously nothing in the nearest several hours (or even days). She continued explaining that it is just such season that there were no many boats going and that normally there were many if them awaiting for those willing to sail. Thus, we had nothing else but to absorb the generous sun and to hop into the car explaining to ourselves all the advantages of the previously chosen "traditional" car-journey plan. When we were leaving Grandvaux (neighbour village, next to Lutry), I caught a though that if such places exist on this planet, than Paradise must have been (without any doubt) somewhere on our Earth too!

So, ahead!
In a few minutes my companion pointed out to the left nudging me: "See there? That is Mont Blanc..." Yahoo! Mont Blanc! Finally I saw it! Well, though from the car window, it looked impressive and inspiring. One could recognize it without any fail: yes, yes, yes, it was (who would guess) the highest pick of the mount range.

In a few more shiny enjoyable hours we arrived to Geneve. I will skip the whole story of the car salon as it deserves a separate place in the next post and will take you to a quick tour around the quay of le Lac de Léman in Geneve and the city center. We parked at the headquarters of HSBC in front the lake and decided to walk further, because it was not a big surprise that the traffic was absolutely insane and we had been moving with the speed of 500 m/hr, no more. The city met us with all its luxury and amicability, no matter how surprising the contrast can be. I am afraid to sound arrogant, but walking along the vivid streets I had a feeling of "I-can-do-everything" and "there-are-no-limits-for-me-in-the-world". One could literraly touch HAPPINESS hovering in the air and absorb the ease of life as freely as relaxed citizens were drinking wine and hot chocolate all around the streets.
We, of course, dropped at in one of the chocolateries and had our well-deserved and long-desired cup of Swiss pride. Oh, do I understand why they are so proud of it!

It was getting dark and we had to head back home. My mind was screaming reluctant to leave the busy city. On the way to the parking place, we did not fail to swing by the most expensive city hotel, Beau Rivage, to take the information about the prices. :-) The diligent reception girl for about half an hour was explaining what was included in the EUR 5 800 royal suit. With the view of exhausted billionairs we nodded and thanked and said that it was good to know for the next visit.

And we left the city... And it was unforgettable... And I definitely will come back there again!

No comments: